Friday, April 17, 2009

Pastry Forum


I got asked the other day If I'm going to attend the World Pastry Forum in Arizona. Well The answer is I'm not sure yet. Hopefully I will make it for the Nationals at least. That got me thinking about the past Pastry Forums that I attended and really I got so much out of some of them. Often I think I've been around too long to get much from the classes but every time I go I manage to pick up some new techniques and some great recipes. Oh, and photos, lots and lots of photos. I also heard rumours (not true) that the event may have been cancelled. Thank god thats not the case. Although the forum is a little pricey once you include theroom and airfare etc.. It is still the best event we have as Pastry Chefs. High level competition, great seminars and classes and great chances to meet fellow like minded Pastry professionals to make connections and often friendships We need more places where we can share ideas have great chefs do demos,create bonds and a sense of community. If you can't afford to fly across the country and take some classes maybe you can organize in your own area. This makes the meetings or seminars much more affordable. Years ago in atlanta we had a group called Pastry Atlanta that would meet once a month, do demos and get to share comncerns and ideas. I got a little monotonous sometimes and eventually after many uears it just fizzled out.
Looking back though I realized I had created many good friendships during those times and those last to this day. I guess what I'm trying to say is sometimes we forget the importance of lasting friendships in this business. There are many people I can call at any time for advice or a recipe or even a job if I need one. This is mostly becasue we have developed lasting relationaships. We share common stories and struggles. So if you have the chance take some classes go to the forum bond with other chefs. These bonds you develope now can help you greatly throughout your carreer.

No comments:

Post a Comment